‘It’s like a dream,’ Goldsboro man says of $312,270 Cash 5 jackpot

January 10, 2018 Posted by NC Lottery at 1:16 PM

Ronald Daniels of Goldsboro said his dream of owning a home will come true after he won a $312,270 Cash 5 jackpot.

“It’s like a dream,” Daniels said. “We’re going to be rent free, and have a brand new house. I can’t imagine it!”

His good fortune happened Monday night when Daniels stopped by the Food Lion on New Hope Road in Goldsboro and bought a Cash 5 ticket.

“I used my children’s birthdays to pick my numbers,” Daniels said. “They’re my lucky numbers, I always play them.”

Daniels watched the live drawing later that night. When he saw that his ticket matched all five numbers, beating odds of 1 in 749,398, he couldn’t believe it.

“You never think it’s actually going to happen you,” Daniels said. “You never think you’re going to be that lucky.”

After a sleepless night, Daniels claimed his prize Tuesday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. After required state and federal tax withholdings, he took home $217,346.

“It still doesn’t feel real,” Daniels said. “You can bet I’m going to sleep well tonight!”

Draw games like Cash 5 make it possible for the lottery to raise more than $600 million a year for education.

1/13/2018 07:54 - clara a.

1/12/2018 02:36 - Louis S.

Put some money in smaller cities like where I live in Eden NC never seen a powerball or mega million winner here NC Lottery
Powerball and Mega Millions are played in 44 states. So players from 44 states and other jurisdictions are trying to match the same set of numbers each draw. We wish every ticket could be a winning ticket. But with games of chance, prize money comes from tickets that don't win prizes. So it'll always take luck to beat the odds and get a lucky ticket.

1/11/2018 07:53 - Michael W.

Good for you man!!

1/11/2018 04:55 - Ivella B.

1/11/2018 01:35 - Norma T.

Congratulations. I'm hoping I'lol get lucky one day.

1/11/2018 12:04 - takara v.

That is so amazing! Someone in my town!! Congrats and may God continue to bless you and your family!!

1/10/2018 08:12 - Bobby G.

Bless you man

1/10/2018 03:10 - Petra G.

1/10/2018 01:33 - Gloria L.

Congrats...pray I'm next in line...