Raleigh man will get $50,000 a year for two decades

January 11, 2018 Posted by NC Lottery at 2:28 PM

Anthony Robertson of Raleigh will get $50,000 a year for two decades after he won a $1 million lottery prize.

“It’s a nice feeling to know that I’m going to be getting that check for 20 years,” Robertson said.

The market researcher’s good fortune happened last week when he stopped by the Food Lion on Six Forks Road in Raleigh and bought a Holiday Millionaire scratch-off ticket.

“I was just getting a money order to pay my rent and decided to get a ticket,” Robertson said. He took the ticket to the car and started scratching.

“I couldn’t believe it at first,” Robertson said. “I thought, ‘Man is this for real?’”

Robertson claimed his prize Thursday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. He had the choice of taking an annuity that has 20 payments of $50,000 a year or a lump sum of $600,000. He chose the annuity and received his first check for $50,000.  After required state and federal tax withholdings, he took home $34,753. He plans to use some of the money to pay bills. He also wants to use some for real estate investment.

The $10 game launched in November. Robertson is the first player to win the $1 million top prize. Two top prizes remain.

Ticket sales from instant games like Holiday Millionaire make it possible for the lottery to raise more than $600 million a year for the state.

2/06/2018 07:38 - Lavanda H.

Gregory f. There are about 15 stores selling lottery in Ahoskie. 33 stores selling lottery in Elizabeth city. We are not that far from each other. Try your luck over here or another small town. At the end of the day if it's for you then it's for you!!!

1/15/2018 08:54 - Bob V.

Been playing the lottery for some years now and have been entering the rewards drawings. Nothing. I've won more before the program. Just entered once again. I play for fun and, with luck, hope to win spending money. Lately the odds are terrible. Can't see spending more in the lottery.

1/14/2018 06:39 - marjorie c.

I sure wish I knew how to win the lottery just the pay of my home so I don’t have to lose it and other things I would love to buy from my daughter that would be lovely and not have to worry about it and then will my dick I pray God bless you and graduations shared with I know I will we’re not doing great job God bless

1/13/2018 04:58 - Bob V.

Where do I find the winners of the Extreme Millions Second Chance? NC Lottery
Bob- You can see who won the Extreme Millions Second Chance drawing by going to the "User Dashboard" and the "Draws" logo. Make sure select the tab that says "Second-chance".Uncheck the box that says "My Entries" and make sure the drop down menu says "All". Winners names won't be posted until they claim their prize.

1/13/2018 04:00 - Gerald F.

Why can't you buy tickets when using Verizon or HughesNet? NC Lottery
Gerald- If you call 1-855-767-1863 someone should be able to help you figure out what's going on.

1/13/2018 01:49 - Bobby G.

1/12/2018 10:52 - Charlene W.

For the record, I just moved to Raleigh in September from a rural area and yet to find "the golden egg".I'm like you and feel the winners are in Raleigh, Charlotte, Fayetteville, and Greensboro, but I've actually won more where I came from then out here. You have to realize these cities are so far spread out with the areas.

1/12/2018 10:48 - Charlene W.

1/12/2018 12:16 - William D.

life span of a holiday ticket depends on the sales. past few years they ended from March to June. you can actually look it up under the scratch off tab and go to tickets ending.

1/12/2018 10:47 - George W.

I have yet to receive my 500 points and I was wondering how long it takes for the points to post. I been checking for over a months since the new LUCK-ZONE change. NC Lottery
Hi there, George. If you have downloaded the app and signed in, then you should have received your 500 bonus points. If you have not, please call our Customer Service at 1-855-767-1863. They can help you check your point’s history as well as award you the points if you didn’t get them.

1/11/2018 09:49 - Tonya V.

1/11/2018 08:45 - Alana B.

Wanna have a chance at a top jackpot? Move to the Raleigh area. Last handful of top jackpots have been in that area. As a matter of fact, many top jackpots are in that area. ??. It’s all luck and chance, though....maybe for the people but the geographical area seems to be a lock. Just sayin NC Lottery
We wish every ticket could be a lucky one, but that is just not the case. If you were to move to Raleigh, you'd have more neighbors; if you moved to a tiny town you'd have less. But what everyone would have in common in all those places is each individual would have the exact same chance of winning a lottery prize!

1/11/2018 08:42 - Gregory F.

Once again a big money payout in the Raleigh area no big money in Ahoskie ant this strange please put some big money in Ahoskie please. Congratulations to the winner.

1/11/2018 08:10 - Rodney B.

Hi I was wondering what is the life span of holiday tickets !!!

1/11/2018 06:27 - Yolanda O.

How can you tell if you are in the drawing for the Lucke-Rewards scratch offs..Example The Jeep or the 10x drawing, The one that automatic place you in the drawing when you scan a ticket? It used to let me know I had been entered but since the update on my phone I can not tell. NC Lottery
Hi there, Yolanda. If you enter your tickets into your player account, you will be automatically entered into second-chance. If you want to check. Open your Player Dashboard. Select the icon titled, "Draws."Select the "Second-Chance" tab, as the page defaults to Lucke-Rewards You can see active game or all games by changing the drop-down menu on the right hand side. Hope that helps!