Charlotte woman uses lucky numbers to win $1 million Powerball prize

March 12, 2018 Posted by NC Lottery at 2:28 PM

Linda Thomas of Charlotte uses her lucky numbers to buy a Powerball ticket every week. And on Saturday, March 3, her lucky numbers paid off with a $1 million Powerball prize.

“I like playing draw games like Powerball,” said Thomas. “So when I heard them talking about a $1 million win on Sunday, I thought, ‘Good for them.’ And honestly just didn’t think anything of it.”

The next day, Thomas, a quality control supervisor at a medical supply company, remembered she hadn’t checked her ticket. When she did, she couldn’t believe her eyes.

“I always circle any numbers I match,” said Thomas. “So I circled the first number, then the next number, and it just kept going! I knew I had matched five numbers, but I didn’t know how much I had won.”

Her $2 ticket for the March 3 drawing matched the numbers on all five white balls to win $1 million. It beat odds of one in 11.7 million to win the prize.

“I just can’t believe it.” Thomas said. “I’m going to buy a car! I’m thinking either a Jeep or an Audi.”

Thomas bought the lucky ticket at Earps on Cambridge Commons Drive in Charlotte. She claimed her prize Monday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. After required state and federal tax withholdings, she took home $705,010.

The jackpot for Wednesday’s Powerball drawing has reached $420 million, with an estimated lump sum of $248.7 million. The current jackpot ranks as the 14th largest in Powerball history. The odds of winning the jackpot are one in 292 million.

Ticket sales from draw games like Powerball make it possible for the lottery to raise more than $600 million a year for the state. For details on how lottery funds have made a difference in all of North Carolina’s 100 counties, click on the “Impact” section of the lottery’s website.

3/15/2018 01:46 - clara a.

congrats!!! Thomas

3/15/2018 12:47 - Sethwind R.

I matched three numbers in this draw- best I've ever done in over 10 years of playing.

3/15/2018 08:57 - robert l c.

on monday march 12-2018 04:53, a person name Brent W.ask about the lady that won the Million Dollar Powerball ticket after tax,did she received the $705,010.00 or $417,000.00? will that be the same tax if she played the scratch off? thanks from (Oreo the cookie) NC Lottery
Hey, Oreo the cookie! No. The $1 million Powerball win was a prize of $1 million and the net was what the player received after state and federal taxes were withheld. With scratch-off prizes of $1 million, the player is choosing between an annuity of $50,000 paid out over 20 years, equaling $1 million, or getting a lump sum of $600,000. State and federal taxes are withheld annually from the $50,000 or from the lump sum, depending on the choice made.

3/15/2018 12:29 - annie s.

CONGRATULATIONS,I AM STILL TRYING TO GET MY NUMBERS TO HIT. GOT TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT.GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

3/14/2018 08:50 - Loretta M.

Where do we find the list of Second chance winners? {reply] Open up your dashboard by clicking on your username in the right hand corner. Click on the "Draws" icon. Then click on the Second-Chance tab. Use the filters on the top of the right hand side to see the drawings you prefer.

3/14/2018 06:29 - Gregg J.

God Bless you!!

3/14/2018 02:30 - JoAnn M.

congratulations! Maybe there is still hope for my numbers been playing same since the lottery started most I have won was 1100 that was because the 10 time played!

3/14/2018 08:48 - Denver G.

Dang LZ, that's a ship load of winners to be drawn on the same day (75)!!!. 3 for monthly & 1 for weekly Lucke-Rewards. Then 71 for the 4 second chance drawings. 18@Multiply,51@HD,1@Jeep & 1@Trip... LZ, as sure as there will be upsets in March madness. Come April 1st there will be people saying "what the heck happened to all my entries, they just disappeared". Like clock work, it happens after the entry deadline of every second chance contest you've ever had.

3/14/2018 07:28 - Mike S.

LZ- when you are logged in and select "Draws" and "Second Chance" that is where the date for the Home Depot drawing show 4/11. NC Lottery
Thanks, Mike. We knew Denver was seeing it somewhere. He helped us out too. Just reported it to get it fixed. Appreciate the help.

3/14/2018 12:27 - Tony G.

Congrats

3/13/2018 06:23 - Denver G.

LZ, when you click on user name on the dashboard then the draw icon then click second chance . 3 of the 4 say drawing 04/04. the home depot says 04/11. NC Lottery
Thanks, Denver. Knew you were seeing it somewhere. We will work to get that fixed.

3/13/2018 09:04 - Della B.

Congrats!! I am next.

3/13/2018 08:52 - Denver G.

WOW, looks like there will be over 7 million entries for the 1st Multiply The Cash 2nd Chance drawing, maybe 8mil. I noticed that of the four 2nd chance drawings that end on 3/31 three of them winners get drawn on 4/4 and the Home Depot winners get drawn on 4/11. Must be because of the large amount of winning entries that have to be drawn, verified and notified (via email). Is that correct LZ ??? NC Lottery
Hey, Denver. The first Dream Makeover second-chance drawing is scheduled for April 4 too. See here. https://www.nclottery.com/SecondChance#2 Are you seeing an April 11th date somewhere. If so, let us know and we'll fix that.

3/13/2018 06:19 - Mike S.

LZ - how many entries are in the upcoming Multiply The Cash Second Chance drawing? Thanks. NC Lottery
So far, 6,830,440. Entry deadline is March 31.

3/12/2018 06:46 - Stella B.

CONGRATS!!!!!GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL THAT YOU DO WITH YOUR WINNINGS.

3/12/2018 05:53 - William D.

Great for her. My lucky numbers are consisted of family birthdays and ages, from my parents to the great grandkids.

3/12/2018 04:53 - Brent W.

Congratulations! U Earned it..Bless you Question thou how she claim so much I thought if u win a million most ppl get the lump sum it's $600k totally out $417k..That's the craziness about NCEL Don't never know what you'll receive. NC Lottery
The Powerball winner claimed a $1 million prize, not a lump sum. So the only withholding is for federal and state taxes.

3/12/2018 03:38 - clara a.

congrats!!!

3/12/2018 03:35 - Maurice H.

Bless you