Kinston woman to take dream 50th birthday trip after winning $250,000

July 9, 2018 Posted by NC Lottery at 2:14 PM

Ada Baker of Kinston said she plans to use a $250,000 prize to take a dream trip to Jamaica for her 50th birthday.

“My 50th birthday is in September,” said Baker, who looks after her eight grandchildren. “I’m going to treat myself with a trip to Jamaica. I’ve never been able to treat myself like that before.”

Her good luck happened when she purchased the $5 HIT $500 scratch-off ticket from the C Mart on Greenbrier Road in Kinston. She scratched her ticket later that night.

“I wasn’t planning on buying a lottery ticket,” Baker said. “I just went in for a pack of cigarettes. When I got home and saw that I won $250,000, I didn’t believe it. I just fell on the floor!”

Baker claimed her winnings Monday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. After required state and federal tax withholdings, she took home $176,254. She also plans to use the money to buy new cars for her son and daughter.

HIT $500 launched earlier this month with six top prizes of $250,000 and more than $7 million in $500 prizes. Baker is the first winner of a top prize in this game. Five top prizes remain.

8/02/2018 07:21 - Vivian C.

Congratulations..to all winners..i know my time is coming...i feel it..my my palms been itching for 3 months or more...come on lottery..my win .....

7/17/2018 02:50 - Gary C.

Congratulations on your big winnings. You will love Jamaica. I got married there in Negrill and love going back for adversaries.

7/11/2018 12:28 - fabio f.

congratulations

7/10/2018 02:17 - Tisha S.

Congratulations

7/10/2018 10:33 - krista h.

Yesssssss. I love to see someone in this neck of ghe woods (eastern NC) win. Just in time for your 50th. So happy for you.

7/10/2018 07:32 - Maurice H.

Bless you Bless you! 1

7/10/2018 07:16 - lester a.

Congratulations !! my turn is coming,, I have missed the cash 5 {9 Times } by one number ..NC Lottery
Matching four balls out of five nine times still sounds like some great wins, Lester! We wish you the best of luck.

7/10/2018 06:47 - Berry B.

Congrats to u young Lady!

7/10/2018 01:36 - Tracey H.

God is good

7/09/2018 07:48 - carolyn b.

WTG NICE WIN.....GOD BLESS YOU