Rowan County man finds lost Cash 5 ticket, claims $559,582 jackpot

January 4, 2019 Posted by NC Lottery at 1:23 PM

Presley Sanders of Salisbury said he drove around for three days with a Cash 5 ticket worth over half a million dollars and didn’t even realize it.

Sanders got the ticket for the Dec. 8 drawing at the Food Lion where he works on Statesville Boulevard in Salisbury.

“I usually always pick my own numbers,” Sanders said. Instead, he bought five Quick Pick tickets.

The next morning, while getting coffee, he found out someone from Salisbury won the $559,582 jackpot.

“I thought, ‘Well, that could be me,’ but I had misplaced my tickets,” Sanders said. “I found them three days later just sitting in my truck on the floorboard.”

When he checked the fifth ticket, he saw that it matched all five numbers.

“It’s hard to believe I actually won,” Sanders said. “I’ve come close before, but this time I finally did.”

Sanders beat odds of one in 962,598 to win the jackpot. He claimed his jackpot Thursday. After required state and federal tax withholdings, he took home $395,771. Sanders said he plans to use some of the money to help his children and grandchildren. He’ll put the rest in savings.

Congratulations!

1/16/2019 08:26 - Scott S.

Glad to hear the working class of winning,congrats.

1/14/2019 10:33 - Donna B.

Congratulations Mr Saunders! My $400,000,000 win is coming real soon! ??????????

1/14/2019 09:07 - Charlie H.

Congratulations Mr. Sanders, your children& grandchildren are certainly blessed to have you!

1/13/2019 09:57 - Maurice H.

Bless you!

1/10/2019 12:17 - sebrina a.

Congratulations!

1/08/2019 07:14 - Curtis Z.

Congrats on your win!

1/06/2019 08:30 - DL H.

Congratulations Presley!!! Thank goodness you found your lost ticket that’s an amazing win and we are super happy for you !!

1/06/2019 06:14 - Berry B.

Congrats!!

1/04/2019 09:44 - carolyn b.

WTG ON A NICE WIN....NICE 2 SEE A BIG WIN IN A COUNTY NEXT DOOR TO DAVIE CO....

1/04/2019 01:39 - Evette W.

Congrats