Carolina Keno available now at all lottery locations

November 17, 2019 Posted by NC Lottery at 7:45 AM

If you enjoy playing Carolina Keno regularly or would like to try the thrilling game for the first time, we’ve got some great news for you and it all starts today.

*Drumroll please*

Playing Carolina Keno just got easier.

• You can now buy tickets at all lottery retailers across the state. That’s more than 7,000 locations!
  • You can watch the draws LIVE on your smartphone using the N.C. Education Lottery Official Mobile app, or on the lottery’s website, nclottery.com.
  • If you type in your ticket number into the app, you’ll also quickly find out if you have a winner.

Why the change? Two of the more frequent questions we get from folks like you are: “Where can I play Carolina Keno?” and “Can I watch the drawings online?”

Well, you asked, and we listened.

So what’s the big deal with Carolina Keno? If you haven’t heard much about the game, sit back and let us explain why we like to call it the game where big thrills are served fast.

The excitement of Carolina Keno begins with drawings held every four minutes. This means there are 311 drawings a day. That’s 311 times you have a chance to win up to $100,000.

Even better news? Tickets start at $1 but Carolina Keno is a unique game because you decide how many numbers, called spots, you want to try and match. The number of spots you play and match determines how much you win.

For each drawing, 20 out of 80 possible numbers are randomly selected as winning numbers. If you want to know more about how to play, check it out here or watch the video below.

The approximate overall odds of winning a prize in Carolina Keno range from 1 in 3.86 to 1 in 16.63. The approximate odds of winning $100,000 on a 10 Spot Game are 1 in 8.91 million.

Still prefer to play at your favorite social establishment? No worries—they aren’t going anywhere. You can still get your big thrills served fast – every four minutes to be exact— at all your favorite “Stay and Play” places.

Let us know below if you’ll be playing Carolina Keno today. Have fun!

12/06/2019 03:52 - Hazel E.

I am confused on how to play Keno, Help me if you can, #: *, Thank you HazelNC Lottery
Hi Hazel, We removed your phone number from this comment. If you have specific questions about how to play Keno, we encourage you to call our Customer Services team at 877-962-7529.

12/02/2019 04:56 - Heather L.

Have tried the 'on the go' version several times, and haven't won anything yet. Will stick to the 'old' way.

11/22/2019 12:03 - Tim M.

So..........I guess for future reference I need to have my ticket ready to go, watch the current drawing and as soon as it's over, buy my ticket, with cash if necessary. Also buy several draws so hopefully I'll win.....something. As for zero matches, if there's anyone who can do that, it's me. LOL. Incidentally, I had 4 matches. I only had to match 5 to win a dollar I think.

11/22/2019 11:28 - NC Lottery

@TIM M.: Hey Tim! You've got some great questions here. Keno drawings happen every 4 minutes, but not necessarily 4 minutes after you bought your ticket. It's possible that you bought your ticket just moments before the next draw was set to occur and had finished by the time you scanned your ticket. That's why it could tell you that your ticket wasn't a winner but the drawing animation had not displayed on the screen yet. Whether you buy 1 draw or 20 in a row, your odds will not change. The reason that you could win $5 if you match zero numbers is because it takes quite a bit of luck to match zero numbers. :)

11/21/2019 06:36 - Tim M.

I just bought my first ever Keno ticket Wednesday night. I played a 10-spot quick pick for a dollar, just one draw. Please explain something to me. I bought the ticket, paid with my debit card, walked back to the lottery display to stuff what few I bought in my checkbook but decided to scan my Keno ticket before I put it up. It said NOT A WINNER OR TICKET EXPIRED! No sooner had I paid and scanned and it wasn't a winner?! I know it's every 4 minutes but this is ridiculous! Am I basically buying a dud as I pay for it? Do I have to play it for multiple draws to even stand a chance? And why do you win $5 if you get ZERO matches? NC Lottery
Hi Tim, Please see our reply above.

11/21/2019 10:20 - Debbie C.

Will we ever be able to purchase keno tickets online? I would like to buy pick3 online also. NC Lottery
Right now we don't have any plans to add Keno or Pick 3 to online play, but we appreciate knowing that is something you are interested in.

11/19/2019 12:47 - Victoria W.

I am glad Keno is played everywhere because when it very first started I played a couple of times and quit because I got tired of going in that bar/restaurant. I felt uncomfortable. I tried to find other places but it was too far to drive. I am glad I check this website frequently because I wouldn't have known. Thank you so much, now I will start playing again. Now I have to read up on it again to see how to play because its been so long. LOL

11/18/2019 01:06 - Thomas G.

I brought two tickets but I don't understand the game.

11/18/2019 12:34 - Denver G.

To ANYONE that does not know how to play keno. Take the how to play pamphlet & a few play slips home with you. Read them over & over. Familiarize your self with the game. Do not expect the clerks to explain it, they won't know how!!! You can win a little by matching a few of your numbers. You will only big win if ALL of your numbers come up. Example, if you get 7 0f 7 on a 7 spot for a dollar you win $4500. But if you get 6 of 7 you only get $100. If you play for $2 $3 $5 or $10 you payout will increase accordingly. 2 x $4500 = $9000 and so forth....

11/18/2019 10:09 - yvonne f.

A store clerk tried to explain this game and I'm still not sure. Looking at the site it has plays for $1 so for $1 are we able to choose up to 10 spots and 10 numbers, or is it $10 to pick 10 spots and 10 numbers? And likewise $5 for 5 spots/numbers? Because the clerk said for $1 you can pick 2 spots...which isn't whst the graphic on the site says. I guess in a nut shell is it $1 "per" spot/number chosen per draw? NC Lottery
You ask a great question, Yvonne! You can play any Spot from 1 to 10 for $1, $2, $3, $5, or $10. The spot does not correlate to the price--it just correlates to how much you have the chance to win. If you have more questions about how to play Carolina Keno you can check out the How to Play page here: https://nclottery.com/KenoHow. Hope this helps!

11/18/2019 08:58 - carolyn b.

WHAT COUNTY WAS THE NOV 17TH CASH 5 WON IN.....NC Lottery
We have good news for our online players! Last night's jackpot winning ticket was purchased through Online Play. We won't know the location of the winner until they come in to claim.

11/17/2019 03:40 - Daniel J.

It is about the same as in a casino keno game, odds and all. There should be a special special second chance offered for this game as well with each keno ticket purchase eligible to enter.NC Lottery
That's a great idea, Daniel! We'll pass it along to the folks who develop our games.

11/17/2019 11:03 - Brenda S.

I have not played Keno, probably will not, as I like playing other games, cash three, cash five, Powerball and lots of scratch offs. Do like the lottery, and it's for a good cause, education.

11/17/2019 09:01 - Tim M.

Hey LZ! Where you say 'check it out here's there's no link provided in the word 'here's. This happens a lot here and not just with Keno. It happens with any number of things on this site. Don't your web guys know how to insert a hyperlink? I can even do that. LOL. NC Lottery
Thanks for catching that, Tim. The link has been added.

11/17/2019 08:53 - john a.

I won't be playing because I blow enough money on other games. I can't play them all.