Wake County cook wins ‘colossal’ $1 million lottery prize

October 22, 2020 Posted by NC Lottery at 4:06 PM

Juana Reyes Hernandez of Raleigh scored a $1 million prize after trying her luck on a $10,000,000 Colossal Cash scratch-off.

Hernandez, who works as a cook for a local restaurant, purchased her winning ticket from the Honest Grocery on Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh.

She took her lucky ticket home where she scratched it off. “I couldn’t believe it,” she recalled. “I was excited, of course.”

Hernandez claimed her prize Wednesday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. She had the choice of taking the $1 million as an annuity of 20 payments of $50,000 a year or a lump sum of $600,000. She chose the lump sum and, after required federal and state tax withholdings, took home $424,509.

Hernandez plans to purchase her first house and put the rest into savings. “We have one daughter that’s 3 years old so I’m thinking of her, too,” she said.

The $10,000,000 Colossal Cash game launched in August 2018 with four top prizes of $10 million and 16 prizes of $1 million. One $10 million top prize and two $1 million prizes remain to be won.

Ticket sales from scratch-off games make it possible for the lottery to raise more than $725 million a year for education. For details on how $62.6 million raised by the lottery made a difference in Wake County in 2019, visit www.nclottery.com and click on the “Impact” section.

10/22/2020 11:19 - Tena S.

Congratulations! Awesome win.

10/22/2020 09:41 - elizabeth j.

Congrats to u and your family.

10/22/2020 08:25 - Kiana A.

Congratulations? That's my 1st purchase when I win too.??

10/22/2020 08:12 - Charles H.

Wake County again, what else is new?

10/22/2020 06:06 - Sheila I.

My favorite game to play when I have the extra money. Congrats to you.

10/22/2020 05:31 - DL H.

What a wonderful win Juana!!! I know you work so hard every day is a cook that is certainly no easy job and you deserve this win. Enjoy your new home!

10/22/2020 04:27 - Nate A.

N.c. Lottery is one of the biggest jokes I’ve seen in my life! I’ve seen many big hits in small towns where no one even knows exist or either Raleigh. Never Pitt county!! Smh NC Lottery
Hi Nate, we wanted to let you know we don’t know where the winning tickets will be and it is no easier to win the lottery in once place over another. No matter where you live you have the same chance to beat the odds as anyone else. That said, there have been a few big wins in Pitt County this year! Check them out! [url]https://bit.ly/3kpDgaP[/url