Cleveland County man ‘surprised’ to learn he won $176,121 Cash 5 jackpot

September 15, 2020 Posted by NC Lottery at 3:21 PM

On Wednesday, William Brooks stopped to buy a single Cash 5 ticket and the next day found himself the winner of the $176,121 jackpot.

“I was surprised,” said Brooks. “I’m shocked.” Brooks stopped at the Curve View 18 Express on Fallston Road in Shelby and bought a $1 Quick Pick ticket for the Sept. 9 drawing.

The next day, Brooks was at his office, where he works as a transportation manager for a trucking company, when he decided to check his NC Lottery Official Mobile App to see if he was a winner.

“I never had more than three numbers before,” said Brooks. “So, I looked at the fourth and the fifth one and I realized that I may have won some money and I was tickled.”

Brooks couldn’t believe his good fortune, so he checked the winning numbers again on the app. “It came up that there was one winning ticket sold in Shelby,” he said. “And I knew that was me then.”

He called his wife to share the news of his good fortune. “I said, ‘You’re not gonna believe what I did,” he recalled. “She’s like me. We cried.”

Brooks claimed his prize Tuesday at lottery headquarters in Raleigh. After federal and state tax withholdings, he took home $124,606.

“We want to travel,” said Brooks. “We’re gonna go somewhere, hopefully to Europe. I’m hoping next year when all this stuff is over. And other than that, we’re gonna use it to secure the rest of our retirement.”

Cash 5 is a statewide draw game that gives players the chance to win a jackpot every single night. Tickets cost $1 and players can buy tickets at most lottery retailers, through Online Play on the lottery’s website, or on the NC Lottery Official Mobile app.

Tuesday’s Cash 5 jackpot is $120,000.

9/25/2020 04:31 - Scott M.

at 715 am Friday 9/25 website was showing a winning jackpot winner of $992,500 , i was wondering how that was possible when the estimated jackpot the last 2 draw nights was at least $1 million ? then a few hours later , yes i guess it got updated to winner of jackpot was 1.27 million, questiong how come website was showing 2 different amounts won NC Lottery
Hi Scott, we've confirmed this was a display error on our website. The jackpot estimate of $1.2 million was accurate and the amount of $992,500 was later corrected. Our apologies for any confusion.

9/25/2020 07:30 - Scott M.

Just seen where the Cash 5 jackpot that was supposed to have been 1.2 for Thursday night 9/24/20 was won. Actually the last 2 nightly drawingS were supposed to have been for at least $1 million but it shows the jackpot won was actually less than $1 million. How does that happen? When you are advertising a chance at 1.2 million and 1 million the last 2 draws for the Cash 5 , that is a huge difference between 1.2 million and 990,000 . Please explain , if I was the winner I would want to know where the rest of my winnings were ! Totally don’t understand!!NC Lottery
Hi Scott, the amount shown on our site for the Cash 5 Jackpot is an estimate. The actual prize amount is often different when the jackpot is won due to the additional Cash 5 ticket sales leading up to that night's drawing. You'll see that we advertised a jackpot of $1.2M for last night's Cash 5 drawing, but the actual amount won was $1,247,944.

9/15/2020 11:42 - DL H.

Congratulations William!! Awesome win

9/15/2020 09:17 - Jimmy S.

Congratulations

9/15/2020 06:06 - Anita R.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

9/15/2020 03:46 - ray h n.

Congratulations